The REDF Accelerator brings together a cohort of incredible social enterprise leaders who are using a transitional employment model to help their employees overcome barriers and successfully transition into competitive, long-term employment. In partnership with the Points of Light Civic Accelerator, our Fellows receive expert guidance on core business competencies, employee support programs, and the opportunity to plug into a network of like-minded peers. To learn about the experience of being part of the Accelerator, click here to read blogs written by alumni.
To begin an application click "Sign Up" if you do not already have a FluidReview account.
Curriculum & Outcomes
The core curriculum focuses on the following key areas:
- Marketing, messaging & communication
- Strategic planning
- Operational & organizational analysis
- Goals, outcomes & metrics
- Financial planning
- Employee supports & workforce development
- Leadership skills & coaching others
- Improve strategic thinking and planning skills
- Diagnose and overcome challenges by applying a “growth mindset” approach
- Learn how to better identify and test assumptions
- Create a vision of impact to better align and execute on strategy
- Set bold goals and practice getting outside the “comfort zone”
- Connect with peers for future support, problem-solving, and sharing
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for growth on both the business side and program side of the enterprise
- Pitch for funding more effectively
- Expand local and national professional networks
By completing the REDF Accelerator, an enterprise becomes eligible to apply for REDF funding. These one-year strategic grants or recoverable funding allocations typically range between $10K - $40K. Participation in the Accelerator does not automatically qualify the enterprise for funding through REDF.
|June 11, 2018||Application Opens|
|July 30, 2018||Application Closes|
|August, 2018||Follow-up with Applicants (as needed)|
|September, 2018||Selected Applicants Notified|
|November 6 – 9, 2018||Session 1 | Chicago|
|February 5 – 8, 2019||Session 2 | Los Angeles|
|April 30 - May 3, 2019||Session 3 | Nashville|
To apply, the applicant and enterprise must meet the following criteria. If after reviewing this list, you still have questions about whether you are eligible, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Must be the operating head of an employment-focused social enterprise and have full decision-making authority over the enterprise.
- Willing to provide key data to REDF during and after the conclusion of the accelerator program. (This includes completion of the Global Accelerator Learning Initiative annual survey.)
- Must be a member of REDFworkshop.org, REDF’s free practitioner platform. Not a member yet? Register here.
- Can be a stand-alone enterprise or exist as a program that is part of a parent agency.
- Is in early or growth stage - revenue should be between $25K - $1M per year. If revenue is above or below this range, you’ll be asked to provide more detail as to why you believe this program is the right fit for the enterprise. For example:
- Revenue is currently $12K/year but there are active contracts that will bring the enterprise to $40K this fiscal year.
- Revenue is currently $1.2M/year, operating costs are high and the programmatic side of the enterprise is struggling since it lacks expertise in employee supports and workforce development.
- Currently employs REDF’s target population and pays wages that meet local minimum wage standards through a transitional jobs model.
- Located, and legally able to operate in the United States.
|Mission Alignment||The mission is aligned with REDF’s priority to support social enterprises that provide transitional employment for those with barriers to employment.|
|Leadership Fit||Demonstrated interest in being an active cohort participant to learn from, share with, and teach others. Will consistently complete assignments to ensure maximum learning for the cohort.|
|Growth Plan Fit||The growth plan is clear, comprehensive and realistic while offering a compelling vision based on feasibility, market need, and job-type fit for the population served.|
|Organizational Capacity||The enterprise is in an overall strong position – both operationally and financially – to build on what already exists and with the right support and resources, grow over the next 2-5 years.|
Sessions | REDF will provide accommodations and most meals for the duration of the in-person sessions:
- Chicago, IL | November 6 - 9, 2018
- Los Angeles, CA | February 5 – 8, 2019
- Nashville, TN | April 30 – May 3, 2019
Commitment Required | Fellows will sign an agreement that they accept the following requirements:
- Attendance at all sessions (including virtual) is mandatory. Note: All fellows must arrive the night before the start of each session.
- Completion of all data-gathering surveys from both REDF and the Global Accelerator Learning Initiative.
- Travel to and from each session is not covered by REDF. (A limited number of travel stipends are available – to be considered, complete the optional travel burden question in the application.)